The Nooks - March 13, 2020
Hi, let me introduce myself— my name is Joséfa David, and I am a fashion and fabric designer.
My passion is designing and creating unique garments incorporating original printed fabrics.
This passion was sparked at a young age, growing up in a large rural Quebec family who supported and encouraged my artistic talents. My interest in clothing began when I watched Anne of Green Gables. She loved fashion and lived adventures. Suddenly, her desires became mine; I discovered how I wanted to live my life and how I wanted to dress it! Like Anne, I dreamed of owning a romantic white dress with puffy sleeves. As the 6th of 8 children in a family of modest means, I could not even consider asking my parents to buy me something so indulgent! However, my great-aunt Therese granted my wish by bringing me a fabulous white dress with puffed sleeves on her annual summer visit. I believe I was the happiest 8 year old in Quebec that summer! From that time on, fashion and design became a central part of my life and future ambitions.
As I grew into adolescence, and then young woman-hood, I continued to dream of becoming a fashion designer while pursuing an education in Psychology and Anthropology at college. Then, on a magical day I still recall clearly, I met my dazzling great-aunt Ivette and was spellbound by her memories of life in exciting Haute Couture fashion. It was a meeting that changed my life; I decided to follow my dream, abandon my studies, and enrol in a fashion college in Montreal. If she was strong enough to follow her dreams, then so too was I!
During my fashion design studies, I worked in a boutique owned by a Canadian designer. This experience encouraged ambitions of owning my own fashion company, and honed the direction I wished to take in the industry. Empowered by my dreams, after graduation I concentrated on gaining experience and worked as an assistant designer in a Quebec company.
I knew that I wanted to become an entrepreneur; I wanted to be my own boss, responsible for every step of designing, creating and marketing my own products. So began an arduous two years of working hard at dull jobs to accumulate the necessary capital to fund my ambitious venture; I needed a workshop, a cutting room, sewing room and funds to develop my designs. During this time I fell in love with my life partner, who continues to demonstrate his confidence in my goals by supporting all my projects and ambitions.
I moved to Ontario to be with my partner, where over the following 2 years I began construction of a workshop, developed and designed products, and established relationships with suppliers. In the Fall of 2019, Joséfa David products successfully launched on Etsy, the premiere product release! A long-standing dream was released, and I officially joined the fashion scene!
As part of my commitment to sustainability, social equity, and furthering the Canadian fashion industry, I developed a number of goals and responsibilities that my company abides by.
Joséfa David Company's "Made In Canada" Goals and Responsibilities:
• Well made and durable clothing that can be worn in more than one season and in more than one combination. This breaks the cycle of cheaply-made, disposable fast-fashion which results in over consumption, overuse of our resources and landfill sites.
• Reduced carbon footprint by use of local labour, talent and resources, thus avoiding costly and environmentally destructive transportation.
• The use of natural fabrics and dyes to avoid polluting our planet, ensuring a future for coming generations.
• Made in Canada, despite being more expensive, results in strengthening our country's economy on a national scale.
• Employing local eco-friendly fabric printers in Mississauga, seamstresses in Brampton and ownership equity all create and sustain local employment and strengthen the local economy.
• Support Fair Trade companies by using their supplies and suppliers.
• Ensure the transparency of suppliers, abide by labour laws, minimum wages, social benefit contributions, workplace safety and employee insurance
• Labour laws here in Canada ensure a fair wage and social benefits while supporting our social institutions through employees and business taxation.
Joséfa David: ethical and sustainable fashion created with natural fabric and exclusive prints here in Ontario. Welcome to my universe where forever lives "mon coeur d'enfant".